Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Monday, June 7, 2010

The truth about High Fructose Corn Syrup



I had heard Jillian say a million times on the Biggest Loser for them to avoid HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) like the plague. I did a little research because I wanted to know why. They also mentioned it in the movie Food, Inc. So I did a little digging and I thought I would break it down for you all. Just in case you were curious like me.

I'll try to keep this simple stupid. HFCS is accurately named. Regular sugar is 50% fructose, and 50% glucose. Glucose is good sugar. It goes to your cells and becomes usable energy. Fructose is bad sugar. It goes to your liver cells and becomes fat. HFCS is 80% fructose and 20% glucose. Hence, the problem. People with diets high in HFCS are more likely to develop non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Doesn't sound like fun to me.



So there you go. Crazy, huh? Look for things with real sugar instead of HFCS, if you can. Hope this was educational for you all, and good luck :o)

0 comments: