We'll make it, I swear, oh-ohhh livin' on a prayer.
That's how my last week felt. Not to be all dramatic and whatever, but I can now, because it's over. I had THAT MOMENT. Here' s what I wrote in my journal:
"You know, that moment that they have in the movies? The one where a pretty, not-so-oldish woman is sitting in the doctor's office, with her husband at her side. And there is a sage doctor who leans across the desk and says, "Well, Anne, it looks like we will have to run some more tests to be sure, but I think you have a..." (insert deadly, scary, life-altering malady here.) That was me today. Except that I was not in a fancy doctor's office, I was in a little, out-dated clinic room, on a vinyl examining table. Insert brain tumor. Yeah, that was today."
Today was last Wednesday. I went to the doctor for a routine well-woman examine (you know, the yearly not fun one) only to have the doctor say that my pupils were strangely dillated. And not reacting properly. And just before that I had told her that I had had two unexplained migraines, which I have never had before in my life. The alternative to a brain tumor was that I could have pre-diabetes/diabetes, a metabolic disorder, a thyroid problem...
A C/T scan and blood work were ordered stat. ("But by the way, your cervix looks GREAT." She really said that.) I spent a week nervous, being poked and scanned, crying, praying in desperation with my husband. We went into the office today hand-in-hand and waited.
"I apologize for the scare, it appears that you are quite healthy." The C/T scan showed nothing. Not a blip. My blood sugar was great. Thyroid, great. Hormone levles, great. My insulin level was 1 point over "normal," so I am supposed to exercise more and continue my new diet.
And she was absolutely shocked at how I could lose 5 pounds in a week. Well, maybe being scared, quite literally to death, can do that to a person.
So now, I have to take this blessing as just a huge warning for my life. Fix some things, live a long time, never have to do this again. Sounds like a plan.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts, prayers, etc. I appreciate it.
Helpers Be Helping
1 year ago


1 comments:
Oh dear! Don't you hate that? I am so glad everything turned out to be okay.
And I gotta say, I can totally relate to the brain tumor thing. I had a huge health scare in summer 2009. All kinds of doctors and crazy tests. My mind was in overdrive thinking about being diagnosed with a terminal illness!
Thank God it turned out to be side effects from medication. But seriously, way to scare me straight, doc :)
Post a Comment