Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Getting a greenish tinge

I have never been the hippyish-granola-crunchy type. Without going into political views and all of that craziness, and I do see a need for people to change their lifestyles, even if it is just a little change. I do what I can. Here are some things I have done, and things I plan to do in the future to help our family contribute to the green-ness of the earth. These may be easier for us to do, with 40 acres, but hopefully it will give people good ideas!

1. Line dry clothes (when able to)
2. Started a compost heap for our gardens
3. Changed out lightbulbs
4. Use space heaters
5. Use re-usable cleaning items (dish cloths, holey socks for dusting, etc.)
6. Dishwasher detergent with no phosphates (it's the same price as the other stuff!)
7. Recycle as much as possible
8. Re-use household items-like socks for dusting, old shirt for cleaning rags, wash baggies, etc.
9. Grow as much of our own food as possible
10. Solar-powered generator

Future plans for green-ness:
1. Cloth diaper our children
2. Buy more local products

So, there you go! I know we have more future plans, but I'm having a hard time thinking of them right now.

0 comments: